The Project Manager supports the Programme Head, from project inception including meetings; client updates and feedback; Progress and close-out reports, processes for a designated project from pre-registration until post-graduation by ensuring accurate and current record keeping, project delivery within budget and time; timeous and accurate assessment processes, outstanding customer (internal and external) delivery). Directly responsible for ensuring retention of students by managing drop out, at risk and inactive students. Training and leadership of coordinators.
Key among a project manager’s duties is the recognition that risk directly impacts the likelihood of success and that this risk must be both formally and informally measured throughout the lifetime of a project.
Risks arise from uncertainty, and the successful project manager is the one who focuses on this as their primary concern. Most of the issues that impact a project result in one way or another from risk. A good project manager can lessen risk significantly to systems and processes while adhering to a policy of open communication, ensuring every significant participant has an opportunity to express opinions and concerns.
Rigorous Attention to Detail
Works according to dashboards and checklists and develops them for herself and the team
A project manager is a person who is responsible for making decisions, both large and small. The project manager should make sure they control risk and minimise uncertainty. Every decision the project manager makes must directly benefit their project.
Project Management Experience of the following is essential
A project manager will initiate, plan, execute, validate and evaluate in a circular process
The role of the project manager encompasses many activities including:
•Planning and Defining Scope
•Activity Planning and Sequencing
•Developing a Budget
•Creating Charts and Schedules
•Managing Risks and Issues
•Monitoring and Reporting Progress
•Working with Suppliers
•Scalability, Interoperability and Portability Analysis
Reports To: Programme Head: National Development Agency Projects (Hazel Bagley)
Qualification Programme Head: National Development Agency Projects
• Superior matric results
• Superior degree results: Business Sciences or Social Sciences, (ideally with statistics included as part of the major)
• 5 years’ project management work experience (Title: Project or Programme Manager)
• Understands what project management is and is not in an academic context and train coordinators accordingly
o Learnership – Services Seta – New Venture Creation (NVC)
o Higher Certificate in Business Management (HCBM)
• English and Maths literacy are extremely important
• The students will not be able to complete the programme except in English.
• Microsoft Office: Advanced Outlook user, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Must have a driver’s license for a manual car
• Have own vehicle
• Able to overnight around the country
Key Performance Area (4 of them) Key Deliverable per Performance Area
Key Competencies for Project Manager (9 of them)
Key Performance Areas:
1. Project Management
2. Contract Management
3. People Management
4. Project Evaluation
5. Other responsibilities as may be advised from time to time 1. Project Management
a. Ensure the right person is in the right place at the right time with the right equipment at the right cost.
b. Control the master class schedule and ensure there are no conflicts at all times with support from the coordinators.
c. Ensure project risk is constantly evaluated
d. Ensure the risk flagging system is implemented and adhered to.
e. Develop class schedules with coordinators
f. Alert students in advance of schedule changes.
g. Check and alert coordinators to the need to issue class schedule and alert internal and external customers to forthcoming classes
h. Monitor attendance and risk of dropout and actual dropouts to ensure stipends are stopped within 30 days of failure to attend class. However, the student must be contacted immediately by the responsible coordinator once their absence is noticed i.e. registers must be checked daily and students phoned or emailed to advise them they are at risk of being removed from the programme. Students must produce the relevant documentation (Doctor’s letter, Death Certificate etc. a clinic certificate is insufficient unless signed by a doctor). This will be managed through the coordinators.
i. Ensure Coordinators are fully supported, motivated and professional at all times
j. Ensure class Registers are collected and collated on a daily basis. The final register of each module or component is required for client payment. Loss of a student register is a dismissible offence
k. Ensure that data is accurately collected, collated and graphed (according to UIF tranche requirements). Write monthly project reports. Develop templates for all of the above
l. Manage the student data base for 100% correctness at all times
m. All bulk communication must be developed and approved by the project and programme manager before implementation by coordinators
n. Ensure project plans are developed for approval by the Programme Manager
o. Ensure checklists are developed for coordinators
p. Ensure data bases of all types are securely saved in the cloud at all times.
q. Ensure project processes are adhered to at all times (see above)
r. Book venues for classes and safe secure guest house for facilitators together with in-house travel agent
s. Upload and download data for control and reporting purposes off Reggie and Moodle
t. Identify, develop and maintaining stakeholder relationships from at a provincial and local level.
u. Develop a process and project plan for each project, process and sub-process. For approval by the Programme Manager
l. Provide progress reports of projects to relevant management and stakeholders
m. Initiate, attend and document stakeholder meeting(s) to clarify project expectations and deliverables.
n. Direct communication with clients and stakeholders at a local and provincial level
o. Communication with. and training of the co-ordinators
p. Manage project coordinators and administrators in their day-to-day work.
q. Ensure consistent and accurate administration of projects.
r. Deal with project related enquiries and activities.
s. Develop and manage the use of an electronic and manual filing system for all project related documentation.
t. Must produce schedules, milestones and plans with regard to the programme
2. Contract management
a. Actively managing project finances and personnel to ensure projects are delivered within time, budget and constraints.
b. Design project reporting templates for approval by the programme manager
c. Writing and co-ordinating professional, accurate and timely project reports in line with the, client requirements and invoicing schedules.
d. Managing the project invoicing schedule (and deliverables) and ensure that invoices are created and delivered in time for payment purposes.
e. Following up on payment of invoices and report any issues/ discrepancies to programme manager.
f. Ensure stipends are paid on time
g. Ensure stipends are only paid to current, registered students.
h. Familiarises themselves with, and keeps all personal information of learners secure and in accordance with the PoPi Act.
4. People management
a. Proactively managing project resources to ensure that the project is delivered on time, within budget and as per quality agreement.
b. Motivating team members to contribute to team/ organisational work.
c. Leading and managing by example, and to encourage team work.
d. Fostering a ‘can do’ culture of by actively seeking solutions to problems and involving team members in the process.
e. Creating opportunities for team members to grow and expand their skills through the project duration.
5. Project evaluation
a. Prepare reports based on student feedback surveys administered
b. Liaise with key project stakeholders on an on-going basis
6. Other duties
a. Undertake other relevant duties and responsibilities, appropriate to the grade, as may be determined from time to time by executive management
• Drives scope development and management
• Develops and manages project budgets, schedules, and timelines
• Employs strong organizational skills
• Incorporates time management principles into the work flow
• Integrates ongoing risk management trade-offs
• Ability to work independently, efficiently and take initiative
2. Decision Making
• Drives the flagging system for any exceptions to process
• Collects and structures the available data impacting the project
• Makes timely decisions based on facts, circumstances, and needs
• Conducts scenario analysis
• Conveys information to all key stakeholders in both written and verbal formats
• Determines and utilizes the appropriate communication channels
• Infers meaningful insights from a collection of data
• Employs active listening
• Prepares and delivers presentations
4. Strategy Development
• Understands the impact of a project directly to and across various functions
• Understands the impact of a project to the overall business
• Integrates business goals into the project scope and deliverables
• Develops metrics to track progress towards goals
• Understands project and organizational dependencies
5. Team Management
• Motivates and inspires the team
• Leads by example
• Manages and resolves conflict
• Builds relationships within and outside the team
• Delegates appropriately
• Demonstrates team organization and governance
6. Business Acumen
• Understands academic industry trends and their impact on business
• Responds to market and business changes that affect the project and business
• Monitors competition and its impact on the project and business
7. Technical Competence
• Understands and integrates appropriate project management tools and processes
• Applies/obtains the necessary requisite subject matter expertise (SME)
8. Critical Thinking
• Determines the validity of project progress
• Maintains project objectivity
• Applies ongoing analysis to the project
• Integrates the project with cross-functional objectives
• Constantly evaluates and manages risk
• Mentors and motivates team members
• Effects change and monitors progress
• Responds in a politically astute manner
• Excellent negotiation skills